Monday, May 30, 2011

Want iGoogle made for laptop / netbook screens? Use PimpMyiGoogle


Download updated PimpMyiGoogle (May 2011):
Install Pimp My iGoogle – Userscripts.org

View Pimp My iGoogle – Userscripts.org
 
Writing userscripts for most sites feels a bit like a game of cat and mouse.  Everytime Yahoo! or Google or anyone else who has a site that I write scripts for changes their page the following occurs:
  1. My existing scripts partially or completely break
  2. I go to work on writing an update
  3. I get most of the way there and hit a roadblock
  4. I need to relearn a bit of the differences between script behavior en Firefox and Chrome
  5. Updated script is fixed and posted to userscripts
  6. Make a new post on spanishgringo.blogspot.com
I am pretty much at step 6 again.  This time it was PimpMyiGoogle.

Google looks to have completely rewritten its content layout and changed its backend JS functions.  I noticed that on 1 computer in Chrome a few weeks back that the script no longer worked.  However, it kept working fine in Firefox and on my computer at work.  I figured that they might be running a new test.  Well, fast forward to last week and all browsers on all of my computers stopped respecting most of the improvements made by the userscript.

So, this weekend, I dove in and made the fixes.  Basically, the script had to be rewritten from scratch.  I decided to clean up a bit and change the old "show sidebar" button to a new CSS3 button.

ToDo for the script:
  • Get min/max buttons to work in Chome (odd Object does not have click method error although the JS inspector shows that their is a valid click event listener).
  • Check the module status (expanded/minimized ) to determine which button icon to show.
Any other suggestions for the script? Please let me know.  One idea I want to play with is pulling gTalk out of the sidebar and make it a floating menu.


No comments:

Post a Comment