Download updated PimpMyiGoogle (May 2011):
Install Pimp My iGoogle – Userscripts.org
View Pimp My iGoogle – Userscripts.org
Writing userscripts for most sites feels a bit like a game of cat and mouse. Everytime Yahoo! or Google or anyone else who has a site that I write scripts for changes their page the following occurs:
- My existing scripts partially or completely break
- I go to work on writing an update
- I get most of the way there and hit a roadblock
- I need to relearn a bit of the differences between script behavior en Firefox and Chrome
- Updated script is fixed and posted to userscripts
- Make a new post on spanishgringo.blogspot.com
Google looks to have completely rewritten its content layout and changed its backend JS functions. I noticed that on 1 computer in Chrome a few weeks back that the script no longer worked. However, it kept working fine in Firefox and on my computer at work. I figured that they might be running a new test. Well, fast forward to last week and all browsers on all of my computers stopped respecting most of the improvements made by the userscript.
So, this weekend, I dove in and made the fixes. Basically, the script had to be rewritten from scratch. I decided to clean up a bit and change the old "show sidebar" button to a new CSS3 button.
ToDo for the script:
- Get min/max buttons to work in Chome (odd Object does not have click method error although the JS inspector shows that their is a valid click event listener).
- Check the module status (expanded/minimized ) to determine which button icon to show.